SCSI boot

Hello,

This is my first post, and I hope this is the right group. (Apologies if not.)

I have managed to install Debian Woody (vmlinuz-2.2.20-compact).

System is a PIII 933 with two 40 Gb IDE drives, and an Adaptec SCSI 2930CU with a Sun 18.2 Gb and 4.2 Gb drive.

The system BIOS is Award, and allows selection of boot from Floppy, CDROM, SCSI and HDD.

I want a dual system -- not a dual-boot system. The IDE drives contain Win 98, with all of the Debian installation on the SCSI drives.

I also made a Debian rescue floppy.

If I try to boot by setting the first boot device in the CMOS to SCSI. I get an L, followed by 01, space, 01, space, ad infinitum.

If I use the rescue floppy, I get a "boot:" prompt. With no key presses it loads linux.bin from the floppy, and after about 5 minutes, everything loads from the SCSI drive (/dev/sda1).

I have used the Adaptec utility (CTRL A after POST) and as far as I can tell it should allow the boot.

I have tried things like:

boot: /vmlinux root=/dev/sda1

but none of the combinations I come up with work.

Any advice on how to boot directly from the SCSI drive would be very much appreciated. Also, please allow for a novice user of Debian.

Thanks

Veronica