Packages.gz on basedebs.tar install

Hello,

I'm having the following problem when installing Debian (Woody)
for the m68k architecture.  I have done some google researching
and found that this problem seems to exist on other archs also
(search for keywords: basedebs.tar install packages.gz).

The problem is that when installing the base system from the
basedebs.tar, eventually, the installer will give an error
saying that the Packages.gz file cannot be found.

The problem exists on boot floppys 3.0.23 and experimental 3.0.24.

Where is the Packages.gz supposed to go so the installer can find
it when installing from a basedebs.tar?

I can walk the install through Install the Base system and point it
to the basedebs.tar, and it will find it and put the files in the
appropriate /target/var/* directories, and after it verifies the
archives, the installer trys to find Packages.gz.  The error message
says that it could not find /dists/woody/main/binary-m68k/Packages.gz.

So I have tried creating that path on /target, /instmnt and / to no
avail.  Is it an error in the boot floppies that it needs to find
this file, since there is a packages file which is included in
the basedebs.tar?

Suggestions on where the Packages.gz should be placed so the installer
can find it?

A dmesg of my system can be found at: http://www.luminet.net/~lancetag/dmesg

Thanks,

--Lance

--
Lance Tagliapietra | lancetag@luminet.net | Contract Software Engineer
Amiga Enthusiast   |   TeXnically Aware   | Embedded Systems Developer