Re: Building d-i

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Mario Lang wrote:

> > What I want to do is to build all these packages, and then go on to
> > create bootable disks from the results.
>
> You do not need to do this.  The whole idea of udeb packages
> is that they can reside in the archives, and you do not need to build
> them all individually, you can just download and install them into
> the build tree (actually, that is what build/Makefile does)

What I want to do is test the latest version of d-i. Downloading udebs
defeats that purpose.

I can get the source from cvs as soon as someone's checked in a change,
and that is what I want to do, maybe more than once a day at times.

> > I expect at some point to have a set of udebs.
>
> If you really need to do this, you can build the individual
> udebs using dpkg-buildpackage, and copy them into
> build/localudebs/
>
> All udebs which are found in that directory are not downloaded
> from the archives.  Instead, the localudeb version is used.
>

> > but because it didn't go through package manangement, it does not
> > satisfy the depenencies.
> Exactly.  If you know the reason already, why do you insist on doing
> the wrong thing?

I have been taking all the advice offered that made any sense at all.
Some, such as "Install the package from ..." seemed wrong and so I
queried it.

I suspected that would not work, the easiest clarification was to try
it. In the case of "Install the package from ...," the advice seemed to
me likely to be actually harmful to my objectives, so I didn't try it.

> You should build libdebian-installer like this:
>
> cd debian-installer/libdebian-installer
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
> dpkg -i ../libdebiaan-installer*.deb

Thanks for that. I've already accomplished that, following Stephane's
advice.

> > While I could install the package from Sarge, it is actually the CVS
> > version I want to use and test, so it makes no sense to me to install
> > the older version.
>
> So build the package, and dpkg -i that.
>
> > I have not yet found any way to make any packages from this source, and
> > that is why I think something is missing.
>
> This is why Tollef asked you to read the Developers reference.

That is like answering the question, "Tell me about Lazarus?" with "Read
the Bible." How much more quickly would you find about Lazarus if the
answer was, "The story is in John 11?"

I know there's a lot in The Developers Reference that's not relevant to
my immediate needs, and I don't know enough to know what to look for.

I do know that I've been reading computer manuals for over thirty
years, I've read them by the tonne. I also know they're often not the
best way of learning stuff;-).

Tollef, don't take any offense. I know from my own experience, giving
useful advice can be difficult, and this has been very frustrating.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.