Re: Further difficulties with install

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:00:51AM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:55:05PM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
> > > This may be in part because I've confused the installer....
> > >
> > > While awaiting for an answer to my previous question, I decided to
> > > continue the install from where I left off.
> > >
> > > I was booted up, got to "load kernel modules" and declined to load them
> > > off the CD.
> > >
> > > Well, now I went on from there and chose "Install kernel and Driver
> > > Modules."  I had the install CD in the drive and allowed it to use that.
> > > It mumbled and gave me a selection list of one entry whose full name
> > > wasn't visible, and I accepted it.
> > >
> > > I then went on to "Configure Device Driver Modules," but there were no
> > > modules there.
> > >
> > > I went back and forth a few times and discovered the modules are for
> > > 2.2.20 whereas I chose a 2.4 kernel.
> > >
> > > No worries, eject that CD and use disk 1.
> > > I repeated "Install kernel and Driver Modules," and this time it
> > > unconditionally copied /dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/drivers.tgz
> > > which does not seem any better;-(.
> > >
> > > Is it worth reporting this as a bug? It seems to me it should work, but
> > > OTOH if d-i is the official fix to all these problems I guess there's
> > > little point.
> >
> > I don't understand the problem. Configure Modules should work now.
>
> My install kernel is 2.4. The modules that got installed are 2.2.20.
> Reiterating didn't get any 2.4 modules in place. As I said, when I
> inserted disk 1 after having installed modules off the install disk, it
> didn't less me choose modules, it just installed the wrong ones again.

Ah. The only solution I know, is to make sure you have the matching
root.bin. If you boot the 2.2.20 kernel, make sure the root.bin you
use is from the powermac folder in the archive. For 2.4, it must
be the one from the new-powermac folder.

> > You're right, there won't be any significant changes to boot-floppies.
> >
> > > If d-i is the official fix, what's involved in giving that a run?
> >
> > Testing is appreciated, the installer is in alpha moving-to-beta
> > stage. There are many links for info, take a look at the last month's
> > traffic on lists.debian.org/debian-boot .
>
> If you want more people to test it, you should make it easier to find;-)
> As I said, I spent quite a bit of time roaming the download instructions
> looking for it, and didn't find it.

Well, it's not really ready for general public testing yet.

> The discussion of Sarge needs a better link - there is one, but it's
> useless - to d-i, and that link needs to point to something, maybe
> Joey's Daily Builds, and maybe as much as 2k of notes on what to use
> when, and how to connect it to Woody and Sarge.
>
> And, Joey's Daily Buulds need to be built daily. Some of what I found
> there is months old.

That's cuz Joey is not really involved on a daily basis. In the recent
archives of debian-boot you'll find lots of links to d-i status pages,
info pages, and pointers to the Real (Tolleff's) Daily Builds.

However, since you have a mac, no daily builds for you. You have to
roll your own in order to test. If you'd like to try it, check out the
cvs tree (cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/README) and go 4 it. There's
no partition application yet, and no boot loader installer; but you
can get the menus to work ;)

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003