Re: Diskless install of Woody

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 06:42:59PM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
>
> > Ha! That fixed it.
>
> I got my kernel booted and answered a few questions.
>
> I have this stanza in /tftpboot/PXE/pxelinux.cfg/C0A8006:
> label 4
>     kernel images/debian/tftpboot.img
>     append initrd=images/debian/root.bin vga=791 DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive bootkbd=qwerty/us
>     IPAPPEND 1
>

> Here are my notes:
>

> Choose Lang: en/UK Fat lot of good that did. It still talks American at me;-)
>
> Irrelevant Screen: Continue
>

> Main menu
> 	Now disk is partitioned, so
> Alternate: use existing swap hda2. Yes.
> Initialise an existing partition. hda3. ext3. Don't scan. Yes. Mount as /.
> Alternate1: Initialise a Linux partition. had3. ext3. Don't scan. Yes.  Mount a as /boot.
> Install Kernel. Use CD? No. I'm pretending I don't have one.
>
> How do I configuure the network? I suppose I could insert a drivers
> floppy. but this is supposed to be a network install. What if I didn't
> have either a floppy drive or a CD drive?

If you choose network install, it will go to configure the network.
Alternatively you can configure the network first, using the main
menu item.

If you're saying you need a non-compiled-in module for your network
card, then right you can't get it done without some other media. But
most common modules are compiled into the Debian supplied kernels.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003