Re: Changing debconf frontend from the main menu

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Here is another suggestion on how to change the frontend from the main
> menu.  The idea is that all cdebconf frontend udebs will include a
> postinst script and a menu entry setting the frontend as the default
> frontend.  The udeb will also provide the virtual package
> debconf-frontend.
>
> When main-menu detects that a package implementing debconf-udeb, it
> will exit, knowing that init will restart main-menu using
> /sbin/debian-installer.  We should change rootskel to only set
> debconf/frontend the first time it is executed (instead of setting
> DEBIAN_FRONTEND).  This will make sure the new default frontend is
> used when main-menu is started again after it exited because a new
> debconf-frontend was selected.
>
> Here is a patch for main-menu to get it to exit on command.  We might
> want to change 'debconf-frontend' to something more generic, like
> 'exit-main-menu'.

I'd rather you didn't use debconf-frontend, since we could theoretically
want such a virtual package for debconf on the main system at some
point, and this overloads it.

Couldn't these udebs set debian/frontend, and then just HUP main-menu?

--
see shy jo