generic logging handling in d-i

Hello,

while writing some stuff for di-utils and lvmcfg, I'm wondering how the
udebs should handle debugging informations/outputs. Shouldn't be a
generic way available for this, or in other words, how many informations
(and which ones) must logged on tty3 (/var/log/(messages|syslog)).

I think most of the packages doesn't report enough informations to the
user, to let them track down a problem.
For example, the di-utils doesn't print informations about located harddiscs
in the system. It doesn't log the partitions, and why they are not shown
for mkfs (other fdisk-id, already mounted, swap, ...). Is this a good
situtation to print such informations out to systemlog, or should such
information simply hided from the user?

Why cdrom-detect doesn't log which device is used as cdrom? Why the
retrievers doesn't log which Packages file is used
(dists/testing/.../, for example). The network confg udeb should log the
used network configuration to syslog. And so one.
There are a lot of useful informations.

Isn't this a usefull way to debug installation problems? Specially for
advanced users?

Any suggest for this? Comments?

Tia
Thorsten