Re: squashfs compressed file system update?

From: ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/bzip2/docs/manual_2.html#SEC7
            Compress   Decompress   Decompress   Corpus
   Flag     usage      usage       -s usage     Size

    -1      1200k       500k         350k      914704
    -2      2000k       900k         600k      877703
    -3      2800k      1300k         850k      860338
    -4      3600k      1700k        1100k      846899
    -5      4400k      2100k        1350k      845160
    -6      5200k      2500k        1600k      838626
    -7      6100k      2900k        1850k      834096
    -8      6800k      3300k        2100k      828642
    -9      7600k      3700k        2350k      828642

It's interesting to note that in this case -8 and -9 yield the same
results, but -9 requires more memory at the time of decompression and
compression. I suspect the memory usage statistics will remain constant
for any file (inherent in block sorting), not just the corpus. The
compression results will of course vary depending on the input file.

If memory usage is a concern and small files like initrd are being
compressed, the choice between gzip and bzip2 leans towards gzip. bzip2
only really compresses better than gzip with large blocks (thus high
memory requirements) and on small files like initrd it doesn't make much
of a difference in nominal (non percent) terms.

Prediction by Partial Match (PPM) algorithms are usually very good at
compression, take lots of memory and are very slow. Thus PPM algorithms
would be good to compress an entire initrd file to make the media space
requirements small, but require more memory and CPU time than other
compressors.

The order of the files in the initrd file can make a difference if the run
length or context of the compressor can span multiple files (large block
sizes). I don't know how one could change the order of files in an initrd
file, but I suspect it's like tar, just pass them in a different order.
The order of files would make no difference if files are compressed
independently like squashfs does.

Phillip Lougher:
I'm also not subscribed to debian-boot thus I can't get the threading
right, but you did. I read the mailing list at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot and several others on
lists.debian.org.

Would you be willing to try to get squashfs to be made part of the
standard Debian Linux kernel? I'm not sure how, or what the reaction would
be.

I've submitted a request for packaging which you can see at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=179672 It's likely that
the Debian Linux kernel maintainers would not include squashfs, but would
suggest that it be made a patch package. If the boot system team finds it
useful enough then maybe that would be enough to have squashfs include in
the Debian Linux kernel.

     Drew Daniels