squashfs compressed file system update?

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:08:14 +1100 Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:27:59 -0600 (CST) Drew Scott Daniels
> <umdanie8@cc.UManitoba.CA> wrote:
>
>> It looks stable enough now, but I wonder why it hasn't been included
>> in the Linux kernel (even 2.5?). I also have to question the value of
>> zlib compression vs other types of compression, but then I suppose
>> that zlib usually gives better compression than none. If I ever get to
>> it I'll try writing a zlib replacement that uses a PPM variant, but it
>> seems unlikely that I will.
>
>The reason gzip compression is used on intrd's is becasue the kernel and
>some bootloaders (grub at least) support it.

Would squashfs work? I doubt this is an optimal compression, but it might
be better than alternatives. Currently the best free solution might be
based on PPMd which has been packaged into Debian.

>It would be great is we could use better compression on the initrd.

What support would be needed for this?

>Ill have a look at squash fs for comparison, but if it isnt in the main
>kernel its hard to depend on it for the installer, it could be used in
>custom builds though i guess.
Have you done a comparison? Would it be possible to include the option to
use squashfs if it's deemed better than at least some of the other
options?
Thanks

     Drew Daniels