Re: Building floppy images without having to mount the image

[Thomas Viehmann]
> Is avoiding to be root or modify fstab in order to do make
> floppy_images something you could care about?

Yes, please.  I really would like to build d-i floppies without being
root. :)

> If it is, I have created together the following patch that does just
> that.  Note that you need ldlinux.sys and ldlinux.bss from the
> syslinux build tree (unfortunately those are compiled into the
> syslinux binaries, but if you wanted non-root-buildable floppies, it
> might worth trying).

Did you try to get the syslinux maintainer to supply these files in
the package?  A better choice is to change syslinux to work without
root access.

> It also need mtools.  Obviously having the HOME=. for mtools and the
> dd's to get the bootsector (or rather the right bits) in isn't too
> pretty, but it's the best I came up with without using other
> packages or even patching mtools.

If it works...

> Of course the whole idea might be rubbish, too, but I just liked the
> idea of having an alternative to messing with my fstab or sudo'ing.

I like the idea too.  Please continue working on getting this
supported in the tools.  I guess the changes needed is to get mtools
to use a different config file on request, and then syslinux to use
mtools to copy ldlinux.sys into place.