hung at "RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0".... need more RAM?

I'm having a problem installing compact linux from floppies on a
80486 AST Bravo NB 4/25s laptop; I'm asked for the root disk-

VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press ENTER

and when i do this I get the message-

and the computer reads the floppy drive for a while and then stops.
I've tried rebooting, and writing rescue and root to different
floppies several times with no success.  I've tried installing the
compact and vanilla flavours.

I think I only have 8MB of RAM is that maybe the problem?  If so, is
there a way to work around that?

Thanks