Re: languagechooser: country codes should be uppercase

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 07:43:17PM +0000, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, you mean to input, eg. "[ca] Canada" to
> cdebconf, with "Canada" being displayed and "ca" being returned.
> That would be useful; I could use the same code in kbd-chooser to tidy
> its display.

In his patch Tollef implemented another solution: there is a new field,
say ReturnValues for instance, which contains the returned value in the
same order as in Choices:
  Choices: Canada, Spain
  ReturnValues: ca, es
I much prefer your solution by a special formatting in the Choices field
to set return values.  Anyway the first step is to file a wishlist
bugreport against debconf.

Please note that I intentionally display country codes because this is
the only way to have a sorted list whatever language is used.

> Alternatively we could implement a lookup in the code to translate
> "Canada" -> "ca", if necessary.
>
> My patch is orthogonal to that; I retrieve the countrycode from debconf
> in kbd-chooser to pick a default keymap; (presumably it is also used
> elsewhere). It is easier to work with if it is upper case.

Agreed.

Denis