Re: debian-installer - using devfs in the installed system

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:15:42PM +0100, Martin Sjögren wrote:
> Myself I don't know how many things we're using devfs for, but I know
> for a fact that I'm using devfs in the floppy-retriever. How do I find
> out if and how many floppy drives there are on a system when not using
> devfs? With devfs it's easy, just look in /dev/floppy.

some problem exists for all sorts of harddisks in the system. How can I
detected the available harddisks (not even ide and scsi), there are
maybe other disks with third level driveres, or whatever.

So looking in /dev/discs/* is very easy. And it contains only "real"
harddisks, while /proc/partitions for example also show other available
medias.

Bye
Thorsten

--