Re: Installing extra packages into /target/ - suggested design

[Bastian Blank]
>>   /usr/bin/dpkg-install    - request a package
> should be apt-install or so

Sounds like a better idea.

>>   /usr/bin/dpkg-doinstall  - try to install a package into /target/

Dropped.

>>   /etc/dpkg-queue.conf     - package queue, emptied in base-installer postinst

Moved to /var/lib/apt-install/queue

>>   /etc/base-installer-done - flag file created when base-installer completes

Using /target/etc/apt/sources.list instead, as it is created by
base-installer to get apt-get working.

I implemented something and placed it into base-installer.  I suspect
the apt-install program should move into another package, but I'm not
sure which.  There are still some open questions:

 - Which udeb should contain apt-install? [rootskel?]

 - Should apt-update from base-installer be in the same package as
   apt-install?

 - What is the best way to know if base-installer installed
   successfully?  A flag file, or some other mechanism?  [I believe
   /target/apt/sources.list is a good choice.]

 - What names should the programs have? [Is apt-install OK?]

 - Where should the queue file be located, and what should it be
   called? [I believe /var/lib/apt-install/queue is a good place]