Re: Running base-config from within first stage installer

[Joey Hess]
> Why would we want to make that an option? It doesn't sound like a
> good kind of option, it just buys you more complexity and more ways
> to fail for no gain. I am not interested in supporting people who
> try to do that with base-config.

It saves me a reboot, and speeds up the install.  I can complete the
install before reboot from the hard drive, and I can check that all
services work as they should when the machine boots from the hard
drive.  When I run base-installer after boot from HD, I must install
the software and then reboot again to make sure all services will
start as they should after reboot.

But of course, I can keep the package out of Debian CVS.  It works
fairly well, but some server packages do not restart their daemons
using start-stop-daemon, so I am unable to keep them from starting
their servers inside the chroot environment.  I believe the proper
solution is to fix the packages (netatalk, courier-imap,
courier-authdaemon and possibly apache).