Re: Defend Debian

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 19:58, Carr, Chris wrote:
> Hello Pete,
>
> I spent three hours last night trying to help my dad install Debian. Unless
> I'm more stupid than I realise, there is a major flaw in the Debian
> installation heuristic, so I'm copying this to debian-boot@lists.debian.org
> in case it counts as a bug. If not, perhaps you can defend it for me!
[...]
> The D-Link DFE-530TX uses the Via-Rhine chipset, and therefore the
> via-rhine.o driver. Attempting to insmod this driver fails, seeming to
> require some parameter or other. This is odd, because via-rhine.c says that
> the driver reads card data from the EEPROM, so no arguments should be
> necessary. We go back into Windoze AGAIN to get the details just in case
> (IRQ 5, i/o base 0x9400, mem base 0xe100), but no amount of jiggery-pokery
> gets the sodding via-rhine driver to work.

Are you sure it isn't a DFE-530TX+, which uses the rtl8139.o module?
Those D-Link names are so confusing sometimes, just a little "+" can
mean it's a completely different piece of hardware...

If that fails, then probably the output (or relevant parts of it) of
lspci -v could do some good.

As for installation medium, I'd definately go for the bf24 variant. The
netinst floppies are available, and the six disks issue isn't that
bad... You could also download a minimal CD image, or the complete CD #1
and save yourself some downloading time when you convert all your other
boxen to Debian! ;)

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>
paniq.net