Re: PreDepend error in upgrading to Woody from CDs

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 05:21:32PM -0500, David Turetsky wrote:

> ... Earlier stuff that the CD upgrade from Potato to Woody was failing
> with the error "Couldn't configure a pre-depend" and similar using both
> dselect and apt-get...
>

> ... Trying minimum upgrades under dselect also failed similarly
>
> Trying to first upgrade dselect using apt-get produced the following:
>
>    Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>    Debianutils: PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2/2/4-4) but 2.1.3-18 is to be
> installed
> E: Internal Error, InstallPackages was called with broken packages!

Do you have a source for stable in your /etc/apt/sources.list?
The stable (woody) libc6 is 2.2.5-11.2, way beyond what apt
thinks you're trying to install.

Maybe you need to apt-get update, with the woody CD #1 in the drive.
I haven't done any CD installs, so I'm just guessing here. But apt-get
update performed on the network downloads a list of the version numbers
of all the packages. It needs to understand you want a newer version.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003