Re: Current EEPRO100 Driver in boot-floppies

Adam DiCarlo <aph@debian.org> [2003-01-09 09:59:14 -0600]:
> As for the issue of the shipped EEPro, are you using the bf2.4 to boot
> with or no?  This seems like an issue with the stable kernel-source-*
> package.

It would seem like an issue for upstream more than for a downstream
package.

Having used the Intel NICs much which use the eepro100 driver I will
second that the upstream driver even in 2.4.18 is not perfect.  It
takes heavy usage to trigger problems.  I have never seen casual use
be trouble.  But under heavy use the driver will sometimes report "out
of resources" or some similar message as that is from my memory.
Sometimes it will continue.  Sometimes it will just stop doing
anything and the network is offline.  When that is one of your DNS and
NIS servers it is a bad thing.  (Of course everyone has at least two
of all critical servers, right, and so the redundant servers pick up
the load at that point.)

If the eepro100 driver stops responding you can log in on the console
and restart the networking.  Everything is fine.  I once put that in a
cron to happen regularly just to recover from this problem.  Obviously
that is an unsatisfying resolution.

Installing the previously cited Intel source driver instead of the
eepro100 solved the problem completely.  It would be great if upstream
either adopted that driver or merged a fix into the eepro100 driver.

Bob