Re: Can't boot on a machine with LSI Logic 53C1030 Raid controller

Hi:

The one I have is the LSI Logic Fusion 53C1030. That's what Redhat finds
when I boot up with RH 8.0. Regarding the error that the module reports,
this is what it says:

'The loading has failed' in the installation screen, and when I go to the
messages screen, I see this:

[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: Warning: loading
mptbase.o will taint the kernel: forced load
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptbase.o: init_module:
No such device
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: Hint: insmod errors can
be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ
parameters
[date, and time] (none) user.err dbootstrap[80]: The loading has failed

Therefore, it seems that it wants me to pass it some parameters. I then
try to install mptscsih.o, but I get a lot of error messages (I assume the
mptbase.o has to be sucessfully loaded first):

[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_reset_deregister
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_reset_deregister
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_free_msg_frame
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_register
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_put_msg_frame
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_v_ASCQ_TableSz
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_adapter_find_next
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_reset_register
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_event_register
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_ScsiOpcodesPtr
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_send_handshake_request
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_deregister
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: mptscsih.o: unresolved
symbol mpt_get_msg_frame
[date, and time] (none) user.info dbootstrap[80]: The loading has failed

Thanks for your response,

Jorge M.

Jorge O. Martinez
Web Services Administrator - New Media
Kiplinger Washington Editors

Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de>
Sent by: Eduard Bloch <inet@zombie.inka.de>
01/08/2003 07:28 AM

Jorge Martinez <jmartinez@kiplinger.com>
cc
debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Subject
Re: Can't boot on a machine with LSI Logic 53C1030 Raid controller

#include <hallo.h>
* Jorge Martinez [Tue, Jan 07 2003, 10:47:22AM]:

> downloaded it, and created the floppy with the extra drivers, but not
much
> luck. I tried the 'mptbase.o' and 'mptscsih.o' drivers, which I think
are
> the correct ones for my hardware. I also tried many others just for
kicks.

The question is - which controller is it? LSI Logic Fusion or
Symbios-based series? For Symbios, you could try the ncr* driver.

> I am wondering if those may be the right drivers, but I need to pass
some
> additional arguments that I am not aware of.

It is hard to say what is going wrong without having such hardware to
test and without knowing what actually the module reports to you.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Man gewöhnt sich an allem - sogar am Dativ.