Re: Please help

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 06:17:15PM -0600, David Kwinter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that I have become stranded in the middle of the installation
> process. I installed everything from Windows XP, rebooted then got stuck at
> the point of making a new partition. Control-alt-deleting restarts my
> computer, but I can't get back to my old system.
>
> I can't make a new partition because the current single partition uses all
> 40GB of my hard disk.

Are you sure you didn't delete that partition by mistake?

If not, restart from the Debian installation CDROM and recreate the
partition. If you use Linux partitioning tools, you won't loose any
data, as opposed to Windows partitioning tools which overwrite any
existing data.

If you checked this and am sure you didn't remove it, then it looks like
you corrupted your MBR. I'm not sure how the installation process could
have gotten you in that state, but you should be able to fix that by
booting from a Windows bootdisk and issuing the following command:

fdisk /mbr

after that, a reboot from hard disk should work again.

--
wouter at grep dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"