The problem - building a 2.4.19 installer

I'm trying to use boot-floppies to created a custom version of the package.

My aim is to be able to build monthly, or so, boot-floppies of a very
stripped down 2.4.19 kernel (no modules, etc) with promise raid support (for
i386), and make them available to anyone who'd find it useful (I would have
sold the farm for something like that a couple of months ago)

So, I've installed boot-floppies, and have run make check_depends and make
check, and all is fine.

In the config file, 2 kernel variables are set for i386 - kver=2.2.19 and
kver=2.4.18 and a couple of loops ('flavour' and 'size') in release.sh that
create 1.2,1.44 & 2.88 versions and also create idepci, bf2.4 etc. I've
manually edited these (perhaps too hastily) to kver=2.4.19, my own flavour =
'stripped' and to 1.44 only. My aim (initially) is to only create a single
package, namely a 1.44Mb stripped-2.4.19.

I've already downloaded the 2.4.19 from kernel.org source and menuconfiged
it to suit my needs - however, I can't figure how to get boot-floppies to
look at my downloaded source file (and painstakingly edited .config file)
when it goes about compiling the kernel. I don't use any modules in the
kernel, nor do I need pcmcia support, therefore I'd like to prevent the
pcmcia packages from being built (I've set HAS_PCMCIA=false in kernel.sh).
Is it required that the full debian 2.4.19 kernel sources be installed for
this to work, or can I use my own downloaded set of source files (i.e. from
linux-2.4.19.tar.gz).

So, to summarise, I'm trying get the following to work -

2.4.19 kernel (i386)
no modules
no pcmcia
one flavour only - 'stripped'
one size only - 1.44

There's probably a simple step-by-step procedure for doing this, but the
solution eludes me. Any guidance in this is much appreciated.

Regards, David