Re: debian-installer status -- 2002-08-26

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 06:28:12PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:36:33 +1000
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>
> > What's going to go on the rootfs? Presumably something like:
> >
> > 	libc6, busybox-udeb, ash-udeb
> > 	udpkg, cdebconf, anna
> > 	*-retriever and any dependencies they have
> > 	/lib/modules/<kernel>/**
>
> It could be something that reads multiple floppies, or takes things from
> CD-ROM, for NFS-root (it would be difficult to ask questions)
>
> The floppy is too small a place for putting in i18n locale info, and
> debian-installer, and I think this was the initial intention of
> d-i being modular.

Slightly OT:

IMHO, this could have a place in supporting older systems. I think we
should support older systems, and that's the reason we should continue
to support floppy installs. But I think it's not unreasonable to support
older systems less fully than we need to support modern ones.

So, for modern systems assume a CD, just like all other OSs now do.
And for older ones provide a more limited installer that works on a
floppy.  I even think that the more limited installer could be
translated individually as a separate entity, and different language
versions of it provided, rather than making it multilingual as a
package. It should become a fixed endpoint which supports only those
older architectures, only on floppy; and no further changes will be
required of it.

For powerpc, there is a clear demarcation point: OldWorld Mac and
prep are 'older'.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |