Re: boot from cd locks

Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 01:45:57PM -0400 wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian 3 off of CD.  My computer boots from the
> CD, and shows me a menu.  I press return to go ahead and install
> Debian.  The beer penguin appears and text starts to scroll up my

IIRC the beer penguin indicates you are using the idepci or compact
flavors (linux 2.2 based).  Perhaps you can try the bf2.4 flavor since
you have newer hardware and the newer kernel may give you better luck.

> screen.  It gets to the section where it recognizes disks, and appears
> to lock up.  This is what I get:
>
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: IBM-DTTA-351010, 9671MB w/466kB Cache, CHS=1232/255/63
> hdc: ATAPI DVD-ROM drive, 384kB Cache
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.11
>
> And then there's a solid nonblinking cursor on the next line.
>
> I've let it sit for several minutes.
>
> Asus K7V Motherboard
> Athlon 650mhz (slot A)
> 384MB PC100 memory
> Diamond Viper 550 (TNT) video card
> Netgear FA311 10/100 Ethernet card
> Hollywood Plus MPEG decoder card

You might try pulling hardware that isn't necessary for the install
from the box to reduce the chance of conflicts/wierd driver bugs.

-David