Re: unexpected login prompt during installation

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 06:38:02PM +0100, morgad wrote:
> am installing from the debian dvd 3.0r0
> onto a brand new (empty) machine
> amd k7, 256mb, 60gb disk.
>
> have set up partitions, etc. and got
> to the first reboot stage.
>
> after this reboot i expected installation
> to continue. however i get  login:
> prompt.
>
> unfortunately i have not yet been asked for
> root password, or user name/password details
>
> tried booting the rescue system
> with root=/dev/hd2 init=/bin/sh
>
> this got me a # prompt
>
> i then type 'passwd'
>
> enter my root password twice, and got
> 'Authentication token maniputulation error' !
>
> adduser david did not work either at this stage,
> as couldn't exec either 'groupadd' or 'groupdel' !
>

> any ideas ?

It sounds to me like your installation failed, and instead of kicking
off the installer's init which would start base-config, you dropped
into the single-user maintenance mode.

I'd say, just reinitialize the partitions and re-install. (It should
go much faster the second time :-)

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |