Re: Dells, APIC, ReiserFS, custom boot-floppies and bootable CDs, oh my!

On Monday, August 5, 2002, at 08:16 PM, Chris Tillman wrote:

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:54:22PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:13:37PM -0500, Timothy J. Miller wrote:

1) Compile 2.4.18-bf2.4 without APIC support. I can do this in my sleep.

2) Put the custom kernel image above on the boot-floppies.  I'm not
exactly clear on how to do this; do I simply copy it to the disk
replacing linux.bin (and running rdev.sh), or should I get the
boot-floppies build scripts to include it?  If the latter, how?

This will be the easiest way to do it. Yes, that is all that you need to do
to replace the floppy kernel.

But it is documented, "Replacing the Rescue Floppy Kernel", in the manual.

Debian's perennial problem--and I've hit this before--is there's always a tool to do what you want, but finding it is a bitch.

Thank everyone for the pointers. I've generated modified boot-floppies, my mirror is rebuilding tonight, and I'll give debian-cd a spin in the morning.

-- Cerebus