Problems installing debian on packard-bell

Hi

I'm a newby to linux so if this is a FAQ then don't hesitate to
slap me down and point me to the right place!

I'm trying to install woody on a Packard-Bell IM6006. Currently
the box only has Windows installed on it. I've downloaded the
installation CDs (1 and 5) using 'jigdo'. When installing from
the CDs, depending on the boot arguments, one of two things
happen:

CD1 with the 'linux' method:
	I get a whole prile of messages scrolling past including
	one which seems to say something like 'keyboard timeout AT
	keyboard not present'. I then get to the language choice
	screen but can't use the keyboard to choose a language and
	get any further.

CD1 with the 'bf24' method and CD5
	A couple of loading XXX... messages are displayed followed by
	'Uncompressing linux... OK booting the kernel', and then the
	system freezes

The system I'm using has a quaint Packard-Bell keyboard (model 9201)
hooked onto the USB (which is why I tried bf24 and CD5). It has an
AMD Athlon processor and 128m of RAM.

I tried to use various combinations of the keytimer and kbd-reset
boot arguments but that didn't get me anywhere.

I've searched the FAQ on www.tldp.org as well as the mail list
archives on www.debian.org but didn't find much to go on. Maybe
I just need to search harder ;-).

Does anyone have any suggestions|pointers|comments to offer?
Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.

--
Roman Stawski