Re: Problem with net install of Woody

Le Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:03:08 +0200, "Michael R. Schwarzbach" <spg@fs.tum.de> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> >   I've tried with your tftpimage, it really works fine !
> > I wonder where can be my pb...
>
> really strange.
>
> > the mknbi package version (woody) is 1.2.7-1 ;
>
> I used that one, too. But without the --IP option.
>
> > I've got « imggen » on the ltsp home page,
>
> I have imggen version 1.01, but that shouldn't be the point. I've added
> it to the homepage, if you wanna try.
>
> > I took disk images linux.bin and root.bin (in compact flavor) here :
> >

> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/com
> pact/linux.bin
> >
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/ima
> ges-1.44/compact/root.bin
>
> I used the same images (compact flavor), because they include 3c59x in
> the kernel.
>

> > Should I take vanilla flavor ? or rescue in place of linux image ?
>
> you can try, but it must work with all images. Every self compiled
> kernel
> should also work fine. The rescue.bin will not work, because of
> syslinux.

	Hi Michael,

  I've tried with your version of imggen (v1.01, Date: Nov 26, 2001),
and it works :-)) I used a 1.00 version (not 1.01 as I mentioned before)
and it seems this is the problem !
  Removing the --ip option (I've tried it when the tftpboot image didn't work),
I have the same tftpboot.3com image as you .

> By the way: Can you send me a short discription how you prepared the
> images for PXE?

- I've got the syslinux package which contains soft for PXE linux ;
You can read  /usr/share/doc/syslinux/pxelinux.doc.gz  ...

- I've copied the file "pxelinux.0" in the TFTP boot directory (/boot/tftp here) :
cp /usr/lib/syslinux/pxelinux.0 /boot/tftp/pxelinux.0

- I've created a directory pxelinux.cfg in this directory :
mkdir /boot/tftp/pxelinux.cfg

- I've created a config file for the PC, located in  /boot/tftp/pxelinux.cfg,
  which name must be its MAC address in hexa ! [ you can get it with gethostip]

  Inside, I've described where is the kernel to boot, with its options :
cat /boot/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/BEFF0013

PROMPT 1
DEFAULT install
LABEL install
  KERNEL linux.compact.bin
  APPEND initrd=root.compact.bin
  IPAPPEND 1

The files linux.compact.bin and root.compact.bin must be placed also in the TFTP boot
directory (/boot/tftp in my config).

- I've installed the TFTPD server " tftp-hpa " which is described to be used
  in PXE Linux site (http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php), and it worked fine (the default tftpd not !)
  with this config in inetd.conf :

tftp           dgram   udp     wait    root  /usr/sbin/in.tftpd  in.tftpd -s /boot/tftp -r blksize

	Hope it can help someone !

	Cheers,
		Fred.

--