Re: 3 Problems

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 08:11:21AM -0700, Sorin Costea wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First two problems come actually from the site:
>
> 1. if you wantio to download install the stuff,
> 'install' then you go on an infinite loop from
> installfromnetwork->fromfloppies->download->mirrors->installfromnetwork.
> Fun fun fun. No files.

Your description of the problem is too abbreviated. Where are
you when this is happening? How do we recreate it?

> 2. The mirrors are NOT organized as described, I mean
> they are mirroring very few of the actual stuff, so I
> wouldn't call them mirrors. Until I went to the US
> (slower) site, I wasn't able to find any Alpha port
> packages. Maybe they are simply _not_ where the
> documentation says... (for sure not in
> /dists/stable/main). The directories are there, but
> containing just the Packages.gz.

Which documentation are you looking at, and which mirrors? Not all
mirrors have all packages or architectures.

> 3. this is a rawrite.exe problem.
> It simply cannot find filenames with underscores,
> that's pretty lousy because you have first to figure
> out, then to rename all your *.bin files that are
> gracefully shipped with underscores, like
> milo_alcor.bin Apparently nobody else tried to use
> them, huh. And what's wrong with underscores anyway?

I don't recall this being reported. I can sure add a note to the
documentation.  We have had very little involvement from the alpha
user community.