Re: Install Debian? Maybe

#include <hallo.h>
alex wrote on Sat Jul 13, 2002 um 09:38:41AM:
> This is the stumbling block that discourages many people from using
> Debian.   There's a lot of development going on in 'improving' Debian
> but there doesn't seem to be any movement on improving the installation

Bullshit.

> process.  I had to reinstall 13 times before I got Debian X to work .

When you install the whole distribution each time when X has some probs,
you should really stop using Linux. Really. Use Windows. That is made
for you.

> There are places in the installation process is full of surprises where
> you cannot backtrack to make a correction.   If there were some clues as

Go RTFM. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.

> How come Debian based distributions like Libranet are so much easier to
> install than plain Debian?  Could it be sort of an
> initiation to an  exclusive club?

Use Libranet. They take unstable software, present you some
preconfigured stuff in a "sexy" installer. The user feels happy as long
as she does not have to change something.

> No wonder there's so much activity on this list.  I'll bet that a large
> part of the problems are because of errors made in the installation.

The large part of problems are made because people do not want to read
any documentation. There are lots of FAQs. Debian offers you more
freedom in the installation routine, but expects some minimal knowledge
level. When you are too lazy to learn few things (eg. what a partition
is), you should by an Apple box.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
checking for the validity of the Maxwell laws on this machine... ok
checking if e=mc^2... ok