Base system installation failed SID 3.0.24

Hello gurus,

I'm coming from the Slackware world; and I know how to
compile software but in the midst of installation my
system's configuration is a bit hosed.

The error I receive is "debootstrap failed with an
exit code of 1" within the installer and when I move
to the other debugging screens they primarily say that
aptitude is a dependency that is not installed.

So I opened the console mode (F2) and ran lilo -C
/target/etc/lilo.conf -r and tried to restart the box.
read-only errors permeate the screen.

Can someone help me complete this installation?
Thanks!
-Michael.