Re: [patch] utilities/dbootstrap/po/Makefile gawk bug

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 03:24:19PM +0200, Marc.Herbert@ens-lyon.fr wrote:
> Let's play a boot-floopies developer game:
>
> 1) remove gawk from your machine
>   (try something like:
> 	 apt-get remove gawk
>   )
>
> 2) forget what you have done in step 1). Please do.
>
> 3) cd into a cleaned boot-floppies directory
>
> 4) type:
> 	make uni-docs
>
> 5) ...and finally lose a few hours like me trying to understand the SGML
>   errors (?) you will get. Argh.
>
> With the attached patch below, I would have spent only 2 seconds.
>
> Note: I have also replaced "gawk" by "awk" in the same patch, since I did
> not find anything needing the full gawk in the very short genc.awk code used
> (some awk expert please check this). Moreover, this seems to be the only
> place in this boot-floopies package where gawk is (was?) used.
>
> Note: shouldn't some debian dependancy mechanism automagically install gawk
> when doing " apt-get source boot-floopies " ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc.
>
> PS: and now I finally can work on this "initrd" debian install
> documentation I want to write.
>
> --
> Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.
> -- Claud Cockburn (1904-1981)
> *** utilities/dbootstrap/po/Makefile	2002/06/29 09:18:30	1.1
> --- utilities/dbootstrap/po/Makefile	2002/06/30 19:45:34
> ***************
> *** 60,66 ****
>   	./finduntranslated.pl $$lang.po
>
>   C.po: $(PACKAGE).pot genc.awk
> ! 	gawk -f genc.awk < $(PACKAGE).pot | \
>           sed \
>               -e "s/PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE/PO-Revision-Date: `date -R`/" \
>               -e "s/Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>/Last-Translator: Automagic/" \
> --- 60,66 ----
>   	./finduntranslated.pl $$lang.po
>
>   C.po: $(PACKAGE).pot genc.awk
> ! 	{ awk -f genc.awk < $(PACKAGE).pot || printf "E" >$@.awkerror; } | \
>           sed \
>               -e "s/PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE/PO-Revision-Date: `date -R`/" \
>               -e "s/Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>/Last-Translator: Automagic/" \
> ***************
> *** 68,73 ****
> --- 68,76 ----
>               -e "s/Content-Type: text\/plain; charset=CHARSET/Content-Type: text\/plain; charset=us-ascii/" \
>               -e "s/Content-Transfer-Encoding: ENCODING/Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit/" \
>           > $@
> + # using pipelines in makefile is really not convenient; catching
> + # errors in commands except the last one is clumsy like this:
> + 	if [ -e $@.awkerror ]; then rm -f $@.awkerror; exit 13; fi
>
>   utf/en.po: C.po
>   	cp $< $@

David or someone can look at this patch. But to check the build-depends for
any Debian package, use

dpkg-checkbuilddeps debian/control

Also for boot-floppies, use make check to see if you're ready to build,
and make lint-docs in the documetation directory to see if your SGML is OK.