Re: Severe limitation with flavor "bf2.4" !

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 10:51:04AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Why didn't you put it as a module ? It's really confusing ... since
> other Debian kernels have it as a module.

I'd submit that installing things as modules with our system is *far*
more confusing. Users seldom know what cryptic module goes with the
nic with the completely unrelated name in their system. Having it "just
work" is much preferable. We couldn't do this with the old isa devices,
but pci detection isn't nearly as error-prone.

Of course we still have work to do when you switch from the
everything-compiled-in bf kernel to one of the optimized kernels and all
your network devices, etc. disappear--but if debian was actually
finished what would we do with ourselves? :)

--
Mike Stone