Re: Woody installation on IBM 44P-170 - really close

German,

Actually, it is a very good question. It took me a while to figure out.
However, you may not have seen the problem I am describing below.

I set up an RS/6000 43P-150 running SuSE 7.3 as my BOOTP/tftp server:

elas27:~ # cat /etc/bootptab
elas23:\
ht=ethernet:\
ha=000629040055:\
bf=zImage.initrd.chrp-rs6k:\
ip=9.3.52.88:\
sm=255.255.255.224:\
bs=auto

elas27:~ # ls -l /tftpboot
-rwxr-xr-x    1 rolfb    users     2689856 May 13 13:29
zImage.initrd.chrp-rs6k

So why does this work? Should it not be:
bf=/tftpboot/zImage.initrd.chrp-rs6k:\

Well, unlike other BOOTP server that I have used before, this one had
/tftpboot hardcoded as root. Therefore, while I was investigating what I
thought was an Open Firmware problem, I was really trying to boot from:
/tftpboot/tftpboot/zImage.initrd.chrp-rs6k

Then all you have to do on the target machine is to issue the following
command from Open Firmware (console optional):
0> boot net console=ttyS0

I created the install boot/root image as follows:
$ mv root.bin ramdisk.image.gz
$ mv ramdisk.image.gz /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/boot/images
$ make zImage.initrd

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth