Re: Installation Error - Basesystem missing [Debian 2.2r6]

Sun, May 05, 2002 at 10:26:47AM -0700 wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 05:38:32PM +0200, Michael Wichmann wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > after installing the base system from CD-R the installation does not
> > proceed. The next option is "install base system". If I choose the next
> > option "configure base system" the program tells me that i first have to
> > install the base system.
> >

> I assume you tried re-installing the base system. The installer is convinced
> you haven't completed that.
>
> When re-trying it, use Alt-F3 and Alt-F4 to watch the installation messages
> (Alt-F1 to return). The last message should indicate that debootstrap
> succeeded.

Actually, from the subject line this looks like a potato problem,
potato didn't use debootstrap.  Can you please try the woody install
disks?  We aren't doing any new development on potato.

If you want to debug the potato install, then get a shell (alt-f2, or
shoose the menu option) and take a look in /target.  Is there anything
there? The code in question is:

   if (! NAME_ISREG( "/target/etc/debian_version", &statbuf) ||
      ! NAME_ISREG( "/target/sbin/init", &statbuf) ) {
    problemBox(_("You have to install base for configuring
it"),_("Base not installed"));
    return 1;
  }

You will need /target/sbin/init, or not much will work once you reboot.

-David