Re: Follow up report

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 12:04:28AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I finally got the time to complete testing on the modules problem I ran
> into last week.
>
> 1. First test that failed: Use the newest boot/root pair to boot the
> install. Install kernel and drivers from older CD. Modconf never runs.
>
> 2. Using the drivers disks that come with the boot/root floppies, modconf
> runs just fine.
>
> Best I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the install, when run against
> self consistant components.
>
> Current problem.
>
> For the last several installation attempts, I've been getting the
> following error from the base install:
>
> Couldn't download pppoeconf

pppoeconf was not included in basedebs.tar when it was first built
(probably 6 weeks ago now). It's been included for a long time,
so your cd must not be as up to date as it's advertised to be.

You could download basedebs.tar, copy it to your hard disk and point the
installer there to install the base.

> I'm not sure I understand what's going one with this one.
>
> I've recently gotten a fairly up-to-date CD. The new "mutli-boot" stuf
> doesn't work on bochs, but my laptop can boot it. Is there some reason to
> abandon El-Torito? Can't they both reside on the same CD? Just curious...

It hasn't been abandoned, the other CDs each have a flavor in the old
configuration.

> It also appears that the default boot is the 2.4 kernel. Is that really
> the goal for the release? This install is significantly different from the
> 2.2 kernel install, leaving me uncertain about how to organize my book.

Not gonna catch that hot potato. Except to say that idepci (not 2.4) is
booted on the current CD #1 if you don't pick an image.