Re: 2.4 kernel as default boot kernel on CD #1 ??

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 02:40, David Kimdon wrote:
> Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 05:00:45PM -0800 wrote:
> > > cd1: idepci; cd2 scsi; cd3: bf2.4; cd4: vanilla
> >                           ^^^^
> >                           SCSI???  is there such a devil ?
> >                           Its not in bf 3.0.22-2002-04-03  ;-/
> s/scsi/compact/
>
> I got a second, any opposed?

After considering this, I'm opposed.

I don't see it as our job to override the decisions of other parts of
the project (excepting when not to do so would result in unusable CD
images).

If the decision is that the default boot floppies for woody i386 are
2.2 ones (that don't do languages properly), I don't see that it is
within the aegis of debian-cd to make a unilateral decision to
override that for the CDs.

CDs that don't use the default boot floppies by default (and I think we
all know that means on cd1) don't deserve the "Official" moniker, in
the same way that CDs that include my favourite five packages from
unstable don't deserve it.

We should aim for there to be as few suprises as possible, when moving
between CD installs, and the other ways of installing Debian.

Now, if you were to argue that bf2.4 should be the default floppies
for woody, that's a different thing, which I would probably agree with
if it had been decided a few months ago, but I think we're too late to
be changing that sort of thing now, unfortunately.

I'd also be pretty cheerful about making two netinst versions
available, one with bf2.4 on it, say, but if bf2.4 is being described
as "experimental" in the distribution, that's how we should label it
for the CDs too.

I know it's depressing to release things that are effectively out of
date, but we have to stop adding features at some point or we'll never
release.

Maybe we can use this as an incentive to make sure that it's not 18
months to the next release after woody. ;-)

Cheers, Phil
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/