Q: installer doesn't find SCSI drives - why?

Dear all,

   I am trying to install "woody" on a i386 machine that previously ran
with no problems various other Linux flavours (SuSE, Red Hat, Mandrake).

My trouble with both the orginal as well as the PGI "woody" installer is
that they absolutely refuse to recognize my two SCSI hard drives, and
hence I can't proceed to install the Debian system.

I have tried all kernel flavours on the CDs (vanilla, compact etc), with
and without the following boot option:

  qla1280=0x9000,20

but it still doesn't work ("no hard drives found").  Note that the driver
qla1280 with the setting io=0x9000 and irq=20 works perfectly well in the
other distributions (where it was automatically chosen).

What am I missing?  Is qla1280 not built in the installation kernels?

Thanks for any help!

  Korbinian

--
Korbinian Strimmer           http://www.stat.uni-muenchen.de/~strimmer
Dept. of Statistics, University of Munich, Ludwigstr. 33, 80539 Munich