Re: preparation for the alpha

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 04:23:17PM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:

> martin@strakt.com said:
> >  Since we must make sure nothing is printed to stderr by anything (it
> > would screw up all frontends but text), we should somewhere redirect
> > all of that into a log file, that could be copied into /target as
> > well. I'm not sure what the best place for doing that is... The
> > debian-installer script? main-menu?
>
> There's a really good chance I'm missing something here, but I don't have
> earlier mail on the thread.
>
> Are we talking about hiding critical information from the user? Putting it in
> a log is good, and should be done. So to is showing it to the user when it
> happens.

Since the frontend is the program that's responsible for presenting stuff
to the user, the backend should damn well keep quiet! It's not a big
problem with the text frontend, since it's line-based, but when we start
using the slang frontend (and I've tried it) it'll be a mess. Of course we
should not just throw away the stderr prints, they should definitely be in
a log file, and critical things could be presented to the user with a NOTE
widget.

/Martin

--
Martin Sjögren