Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 07:28:33PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2002, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>
> > Let's first have a working installer on at least a few arches before
> > walking down that road.  However, it is a problem which I was notified
> > of a few days ago: d-i relies heavily on devfs and, well, 2.4 doesn't
> > work on m68k and it doesn't look like it will in the foreseeable
> > future.  So, help with getting this worked out will be appreciated.
>
> devfs support should be removed, in my opinion.  There is still continuing
> talk of removing it from the kernel, as distributors(us and the other guys)
> have failed to support it.

Certainly it will have a hard time working on any of the BSDs anytime soon,
if it relies on devfs more than trivially; they have no concept of it, nor
are they really likely to anytime soon.

Use of /proc should also, prefferably, be limited to traditional /proc
items and not the Linux view of using it as a sysctl area (though there is
nothing wrong with calling 'sysctl' for such things on the BSDs, at least
not on NetBSD and not that I *know* of on FreeBSD).
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/