Problem with Debian 3.0 (Woody)

This address came up in the help file.  At the prompting of a friend I installed Debian 3.0 (Woody) but came up with a problem.  My screen resolution is all screwed up.  I have the time and other items appearing all over my screen and the resolution is so large it won't fit on the screen.  Doing anything in Debian is almost impossible because of this status.  Is there a command I can type at the prompt that will allow me to reset the screen resolution?  Additional info:  first time I did the install I entered i810 but got nothing at all.  Changed
it to "vesa" but that lead to my current problem.  Thanks for your time and help.
http://www.linuxmail.org/