Re: Installing debian with a propritary raid driver

#include <hallo.h>
* Jan Vidar Krey [Thu, Oct 31 2002, 11:24:01AM]:

> Now, the bf2.4 kernel doesn't support SMP, and also I have to compile drivers
> for my intel gigabit ethernet NIC, but where do I go from here?

You can use the kernel-image-2.4.19-686-smp package. To compile your
modules, install kernel-headers-2.4.19-686-smp and specify _this_ headers as
kernel source when compiling modules.

> I installed initrd-tools, compiled the kernel sources with support for initrd
> and cramfs and added "FastTrak" to /etc/mkinitrd/modules.
> Now I created the ramdisk with;
>
> % mkinitrd -o xxx /lib/modules/2.4-my-custom-version

Well, you have to change lilo.conf and reinstall lilo to make use of it.

Though, expect trouble when using non-SMP compiled modules with
SMP kernels.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
   If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.