Problems building d-i

I checked out of the debian-installer and used the
instructions on
http://wiki.debian.net/DebianInstallerBuild to create
a boot floppy.

When I tried to execute
dpkg-buildpackage in some of the tools/ directories I
get the error message "dpkg-buildpackage: unable to
determine source package"

The modules that dpkg-buildpackage failed for are
listed at the end of this mail.
I suppose I dont require some of them.
Anyways I created the symlinks in build/localudebs
and tried a make demo from build/

The make also gave me an error (reproduced below)
---------------------------------------
Error from make:

Need to download : di-utils-shell rootskel anna
main-menu busybox-udeb dash-udeb kernel-image---udeb
choose-mirror net-retriever ethdetect dhcp-client-udeb
nic-modules---udeb nic-modules-shared---udeb
modutils-basic
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
E: Couldn't find package kernel-image---udeb
make: *** [net-get_udebs-stamp] Error 100

What am I doing wrong ? Any help appreciated
Thanks
Hrishi

kdetect
aboot-installer