Re: Kernel Panic

Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 11:48:19AM +0900 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Compaq Proliant ML 330 with an 18 GB SCSI hard-drive and another
> hot-plug able SCSI HDD of the same capacity.
> I want to install Debian Potato on this machine as in I would like to use it
> as a DNS, Mail, Proxy Server.

You probably want to use Woody, not Potato as Woody is the latest
stable release of Debian.  The installation has many bug fixes as well
(though I don't recall the problem you describe here.)

> During boot up they system this error
>

> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00
>
> thus not allowing me to go further with the installation.

How are you booting?  From cdrom (I think so, since 01:00 looks to be
ram0)?  You could try booting from floppy.  I find it odd tha tyou are
getting this error though, it is as if the bootloader was unable to
load the ramdisk into memory?

-David