From: "Chris Tillman" <tillman@voicetrak.com>
To: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
CC: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: PowerPC Problem
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:30:36 -0700

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 08:35:47PM +0200, Steve Langdon wrote:
> >> I've found out some more about the nature of the problem. I found out
> >how to
> >> navigate down thro the file structure using the <> keys. The booter is
> >> concentating the folder names to 8 characters. Hence it cant find
> >> "new-powermac" cos it see's it as "new-powe". I can get past the
> >> "disks-powerpc" folder by navigating , but the booter is looking to find
> >> "new-powermac" and cant.
> >>
> >> Why should this be?. Is there a setting somewhere in dbootstrap?. Can I
> >pass
> >> it an argument to change this setting?.    Maybe its a setting in my
> >CDRom
> >> or Drive.
> >
> I'm not sure how I can enable these features. I'm using Adapdec Toast on an
> iMac to burn the CD, and it doesnt mentioned these options in the
> instructions. Toast IS recommened as capable for this task in the debian
> installation instructions. Hmmmmm.

Reminder to new installer designers: 8.3 is still king, when it comes to CDs!

Did you possibly extract the ISO into files on your disk and then burn those,
rather than burning the ISO image directly?

Possibly you can re-burn the CD, and use some settings or preferences
in Toast which will let the real filenames come out. 8.3 is part of
the ISO standard, so maybe you have to disable 'ISO compatibility', or
enable 'long filenames' or some such. The downloadable iso image
actually has both sets of names in it; when reading it in DOS, the 8.3
names show, and when reading it in Unix/Windows, the longer filenames
should show.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |