Re: Graphical installer

* Jo Dillon

| Hi...I saw today that Debian is working on a new graphical installer,
| probably gtkfb based. How wedded are you to that? I'm a former Trolltech
| employee and one of the people who wrote Qt/Embedded; I might be interested
| in writing/helping to write a Qt/E-based installer, if there's sufficient
| interest in that.

We are basing the installer around cdebconf, which can use any
frontend: text, slang, gtkfb, corba, whatever.  Somebody just have to
write it.  I think having both Qt and gtkfb frontends might be
duplication of work, but if you'd like to do that: go ahead.  If it
works well, the Qt frontend might be the default.

Check out the sources from CVS:
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot , module
debian-installer.  Read the docs, especially all the things in
tools/cdebconf/doc, if you want to hack on cdebconf.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-