My test machine was a Dell Dimension 4100 with an IDE HDD and 3c59x NIC. I
used this floppy image:
- The floppy booted and the frontend started
- The NIC was discovered
- I was able to statically configure the network
- I was able to select a mirror, and the udebs were downloaded
This is as far as I was able to get within the installer. At this point, I
had to use a shell to try to make further progress.
What almost worked:
- After running depmod and modprobe, I was able to see the HDD. I'm not
sure at which point (or if) this was supposed to happen automatically.
What did not work:
- DHCP. The error message seems to indicate that the kernel does not
contain the necessary support.
- fdisk. I get a symbol relocation error on bindtextdomain, and fdisk would
not start. cfdisk would not start because libslang was not present.
- This was my first opportunity to try the EVMS udebs that I hastily
assembled. evms would not run due to lack of libreadline, and evmsn would
not run due to lack of libncurses. I didn't have kernel support anyway,
of course. How are dependencies satisfied in this environment?