Issue with installation

     Package: boot-floppies
     Version: 3.0 (woody) (kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4)
     flavor:        ???
     architecture:  i386
     model:         Dell Inspiron 7000
     memory:        192mb
     scsi:          none
     cd-rom:        ATAPI DVD-ROM
     network card:  n/a
     pcmcia:        n/a

I'm a new Linux installer (haven't done it for about 7 or 8 years).  Booting off of an install CD.
After the language selection is made (regardless of the language I pick), the system pops back into the language selector.  If I turn on DEBUG, I see a seg fault error.  Lots of registers and addresses, I'll be happy to email if it will be helpful.  The ones that look most pertinent:
EFLAGS: 00010282
/sbin/dbootstrap (tcgetattr+0x75)[0x804ad01]

I've tried the following options at the boot prompt, with the same results:
auc7xxx=no_probe

And if I add parameters that cause the ignoring of the frame buffer/language chooser, it just gets into an infinite loop of grey screens - keeps showing the seg fault error message (hit return, it shows it again and again).

Anybody have a good idea?

Michael P. Duff, Jr. <duff@enteract.com>
Director, divine Advanced Web Technology (Chicago)
Work: 312-630-7664      Cell: 815-483-0173
http://www.divine.com   http://duff.dnsalias.com