multi-arch support for d-i (Re: Work needing projects web page)

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 12:16:44AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> That leaves a whopping eight arches which nobody has taken care of yet.
> (BenC has said he'll do the SPARC, that leaves seven arches: mips, mipsel,
> hppa, arm, s390, m68k, ia64.)  This leaves out Debian/*BSD and the Hurd,
> if they are to release with Sarge.
>
> It's not rocket science to figure out that we might need an installer for
> the missing arches and getting in touch with me if you want to help out.

I would like to point out that s390 is one of the few arches where there is
an emulator (Hercules) capable of running Linux and doing real work,
including installer development.  It can emulate DASD storage, tape and card
readers, and can be installed using boot-floppies just fine.  I have been
providing woody DASD images for use with Hercules for some time now
(http://people.debian.org/~mdz/hercules/).

I may be able to help with the s390 installer, but I do not have any real
hardware to test, nor much time to devote to it.

--
 - mdz