Re: Partition tools (Re: debian-installer status -- 2002-07-29)

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:09:22 -0400
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 05:42:30PM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:46:41 -0400
> > Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> > > I am in complete agreement that we would not want to include EVMS, XFS
> > > or similar in our default kernel unless (or until) they are part of the
> > > official kernel.
> >
> > Please find the reason for EVMS not being incorporated. Also, is LVM not
> > going to be part of the kernel in the future? I'm not totally sure about
> > this part, but I thought I had read that Linus wants LVM out; note that
> > there have been fairly nasty core-level bugs in LVM in the recent past
> > (the last one I knew of involved main stack overflow causing big
> > filesystem problems: I recall patching to kill that particular bug on my
> > personal machine).
>
> Pay special attention to the word 'default' in my sentence above; it is the
> core of my opinion on this subject.  I believe that the default kernel
> should be sufficiently generic to enable a wide variety of users to install
> the system, but not so overfeatured as to be difficult to support, or to
> introduce too many unknowns into the installation process.

OK, fair enough. Does your opinion differ wrt what's actually compiled
into the kernel vs what modules are included? I think that we should
either distribute one kernel per arch that includes as much as possible
in the way of module drivers, offer multiple choices (as we do now) or
offer a site or live-filesystem cd image which compiles an installation
kernel which is customized for each individual user.

> > It would also be good to work toward standardizing naming of volumes (err,
> > allowing such naming of volumes to happen in the installer), and allowing
> > the creation of EVMS, LVM, LVM2 (worth a look!) volumes. Current installer
> > does not allow these things; I think work in these areas should begin as
> > quickly as possible. Should the kernel VFS be extended to allow things
> > along these lines?
>
> I had planned to try to build some boot-floppies which could be used with
> woody to install directly onto EVMS volumes.  However, I think the time (if
> I find that I have it) might be better spent getting something more
> permanent into debian-installer.  Given that I know almost nothing about
> d-i, this would probably be a significant investment of resources to get up
> to speed and implement something.

Over the past few days, I tried to build debian-installer, and subtracting some
minor frustrations that could have been cleared up in the docs, it was pretty
easy to build, if tedious: essentially, I had to run a build process much more
than once. Overall, it's not too difficult, I got it built and tried it. It's
definitely coming along, and if you get time, you should try to build it.