Re: Debian network installation on IBM RS/6000 44P-170 (POWER3) - HOWTO

> > I used the standard POWER3 config file:
> > /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/configs/power3_defconfig
>
> Other posters have noted that the Debian-provided kernel doesn't
> work for chrp or IBM powerpc. Is it the config that's incorrect?
> Or are they really binary incompatible? Or is it just that you
> need a zImage.initrd format?
>
> I wonder if the stock 2.4.18 Debian kernel would work now that you
> have an installed system. That is available (uncompressed) in
> disks-powerpc/new-powermac/linux.bin .
>

> --
> *------v--------- Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 --------v------*
> |      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
> |        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
> |            Chris Tillman        tillman@voicetrak.com          |
> |                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |
> *----------------------------------------------------------------*

Chris,

I am no kernel guru; however, I believe that you have to compile the kernel for the hardware on which it will run by selecting the appropriate config
file.

Tom,

Could you elaborate?

Furthermore, what is the recommended kernel version for the IBM PREP, CHRP and POWER3 platforms.
The reason I am asking is because Woody ships with 2.2 as default, allowing upgrade to 2.4.

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth
pSeries System Engineering & Integration, IBM Enterprise Systems Group